April 2, 2013
Posted by
Share This

By Cadet Alex Cox

I never like to feel rushed when I am preparing for something. Whether it’s a test, a speech, or a race, I like to go in knowing that there is nothing more I could have done to ensure my best effort. While I think it is easy to see the benefits of this approach, it is not always so easy to implement. There have been more than a few times that I did not put in the preparation that I needed or did not start preparing early enough. Sometimes, I could recover and perform well nonetheless, and sometimes I could not.

No matter how gifted you think you are, Field Training is a situation where you cannot succeed if you do not prepare. Preparation cannot start the day before, the week before, or even the month before. There are now two months left before Field Training. The AS200s have already covered most of the knowledge in the Field Training Manual. I believe any of them could head to Field Training right now and perform adequately. Yet our goal should never be to perform only adequately. To excel at Field Training requires something more…

Confidence is difficult to master, and it requires practice. Do not limit your preparation for Field Training to book knowledge alone. Work on building a confident mindset starting right now. Believe in yourself and the training you have had. Walk with your shoulders back and head up, as appearance says much about your competence. Practice rolling with defeats and setbacks, as you will encounter many of them. If you are unsure of a course of action, do not let indecision dominate. And most of all, be confident in your preparation. Carrying yourself with confidence will serve you well not only at Field Training, but in every other aspect of life upon your return.

Additional Resources

• Leave Your Comment

Your Comments: (please keep it clean!)