What I'm looking forward to on Active Duty...

April 9, 2013
Posted by
Share This

By Cadet Kevin Abington

Although they may be similar, our reasons for joining AFROTC and career expectations are personal and different.  While my reasons for pursuing an Air Force commission are still the same, my career expectations recently changed quite tremendously.  I was born color deficient and grew up learning that my opportunities and abilities in life would be a bit limited (there’s a reason I’m not an art major).  Although my interest in the military developed after I had accepted that, I was still disappointed when I was told I could never be aircrew.  That being said, I was in overjoyed when TSgt Quitalig explained that my eyes didn’t disqualify me from becoming an Air Battle Manager (13BX).  You should’ve seen my excitement when Lt Col Dyke called me about being selected for it!

In the short term, I’m really excited for the 9 month Undergraduate ABM Training at Tyndall AFB, FL.  If I get the airframe I’d prefer, the E-3 Sentry AWACS, I’ll be looking forward to potential OCONUS assignments in Alaska, Japan, and Germany.  Having grown up in the latter country, I always wanted to go back some day; therefore, I’m really hoping for an assignment at Geilenkirchen NATO AB, which houses NATO AWACS.  On a more serious note, I also look forward to the fast paced operations they carry out, as ABMs are involved with managing combat on the ground and in the air.  They deal with sensitive information necessary for the successful operations of our air and ground units, and guide them throughout their missions.  There’s a lot of responsibilities in this career field, but I can’t wait for it. AIRPOWER!!!

image002

Additional Resources

• Leave Your Comment

Your Comments: (please keep it clean!)