A Spoonful of Sugar Challenge

September 13, 2012
Posted by
Share This

Student Reflection - September 12, 2012

As a first time participant, I had no expectations about what I was getting into when I participated in this week’s innovation challenge. This week’s challenge involved presenting the judges with an idea to encourage people to do everyday tasks by making them fun. After seeing the two example videos, my team started brainstorming ideas about daily activities that people should do but often don’t, and how we could get people to do them. My team members and I started by discussing issues that affected us as SLU students and then expanded on our ideas to more global issues. As I worked in my group, I realized that the challenge had forced us and most likely everyone else who was participating to take a small issue and look at it in a way that helped many people. What was extremely engaging and rewarding about the experience was that there were so many different ideas coming from each person on my team that the hardest part of the challenge was not coming up with an idea, but it was having to pick just one idea.

This experience allowed me to get a glimpse at what it would be like to work on a real team with people of various backgrounds. It was extremely fun to get to see everyone thought process and by the end, the challenge didn’t seem like a challenge. This week’s innovation challenge made me realize that this is the type of environment I want to be in when I start my career: a cohesive team that helps solve global issues by thinking of them in a fun way. I guess what I learned most of all was similar to the challenge itself: doing something important or necessary doesn’t have to be hard if you make it fun.

Winning Reflection - Gayatri Nijsure

Additional Resources

• Leave Your Comment

Your Comments: (please keep it clean!)

Subscribe to the RSS Feed

Archive by Date