Logos and Taglines Challenge

September 20, 2012
Posted by
Share This

Student Reflection - September 19, 2012

Before today, I had only been a spectator of the various Weekly Innovation Challenges.  As a spectator alone, I have been able to quickly determine the distinct goal or lesson of each challenge that aligns with the mission of KEEN.  However, it is not until you become a participant and a competitor that you realize the challenges—simple or complex—have many lessons.  Some lessons may be subtle, but these are surely no less important than the obvious.

Team diversity was especially key for this challenge. Fortunately, I was on a team consisting of a freshman from California, a junior whose family are immigrants from Vietnam, and myself, a senior born and raised in St. Louis.  Having people with different backgrounds and exposures allowed us to recognize the logos and taglines of various, successful companies presented to us, each with their own backgrounds.  

Hours after the challenge, other lessons became evident.  In the beginning, we were informed that in the case of a tie, the team who submitted their answers first would win.  This inadvertently caused me to be too time-conscious and view the challenge as a race. In the end, there was not a tie; the team that was the most accurate, won.  This reinforced that you must strike a balance between time and accuracy.  In many cases, accuracy can outweigh the significance of time.

The most subtle lesson I experienced from the challenge stemmed from the unique format of the multiple-choice forms.  The technique allowed multiple chances to obtain the right answer, but with each guess, there was a point-based penalty.  Similarly, in your career you may be given multiple chances to succeed at a particular task, but the more chances you take, the less rewarding your final, working solution may be. 

Overall, spectating has its benefits, but participating is far more worthwhile and fun.  A challenge, even as straightforward as this one, can stimulate complex experiences and I look forward to participating in more.

Winning Reflection - Shawn Ficker, Electrical Engineering

Additional Resources

• Leave Your Comment

Your Comments: (please keep it clean!)

Subscribe to the RSS Feed

Archive by Date