Illinois State Tuition Waiver (ISTW)
Fact Sheet for Air Force ROTC Cadets
- ISTW is an Illinois state-funded tuition waiver for ROTC programs at state schools in Illinois.
- The ISTW is not a federal Air Force ROTC scholar- ship.
- Always consult your financial aid office for details of your financial obligations as a student at SIUE or SWIC.
- At Air Force ROTC Detachment 207, the ISTW is only available to students attending SIUE or SWIC.
- Cadets nominated by Air Force ROTC Det 207 for the ISTW program incur NO military obligation by virtue of their acceptance of the Illinois State Tuition Waver.
- Nominations for the ISTW are offered on a case by case basis to attract the most promising college students into the Air Force ROTC program.. Detachment 207 reserves the right to terminate ISTW for students whose performance does not merit continuance in the ISTW program, or for students who become disqualified for commissioning in the U.S. Air Force. Students whose nominations are removed may or may not be authorized to continue on the ISTW for the remainder of the current semester. This will be determined by the detachment commander on a case by case basis.
- The commander also reserves the right to revoke ISTW funding from a student from a previous semester if it is determined that the student did not meet requirements of the program and was in poor standing. If that is the case, it would be the student’s responsibility to repay the university those funds.
Eligibility for consideration
College Applicant Must:
- Be an Illinois State Resident.
- Enroll in and attend AFROTC classes starting the semester for which the ISTW is offered.
- Attend as full-time undergraduate student at SIUE or SWIC (at least 12 semester hours). ISTW does not apply to summer sessions. May have to be interviewed by Det 207’s Commander or the Unit Admissions Officer
- Must not have a criminal record of felonious conduct, violent behavior, prison time, substance abuse, or DUI/DWI
- Have a minimum 2.0 cum. college GPA
Requirements for Maintaining the ISTW
Current cadets on ISTW:
- Must maintain Illinois state residency and full time student status at SIUE
- Must be enrolled in the appropriate level of Aerospace Studies as a qualified Cadet in AFROTC
- Will pay 25% of their tuition to hold enrolled courses each semester, money will be refunded after ISTW enacted
- Remain a cadet in good standing, and not bring discredit upon the US Air Force or AFROTC Det 207
- Work with your assigned NCO and APAS instructor to ensure your cadet record is up to date in all respects
Applications should be discussed by contacting the Unit Admissions Officer. Information is current as of March 2017 and remains subject to change.