Global Aviation Degree Program
New Global Aviation degree program prepares graduates for International careers
Global Education for a Global Industry
The global aviation degree program at Saint Louis University’s Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology is just one of the unique opportunities available to students. We develop innovative curriculum opportunities like this one to ensure our students are well-rounded and prepared to be leaders in the global aviation industry.
Nearly every country in the World maintains its own standards for pilot qualifications and certification. Following qualification in one country, pilots face an expensive and confusing conversion process if they wish to work somewhere other than where they train.
Students enrolled in the Flight Science Global Aviation Degree Program at Saint Louis University are educated and trained to the highest standards in aviation for both theory and flight, while immersed in the personal growth experience of a top ranked U.S. university. By combining excellence in flight training and a classroom experience intended to prepare students for leadership roles in the aviation industry, Saint Louis University assists students in developing their underlying potential. Graduates of the Flight Science Global Aviation Degree Program are prepared to transition their FAA Flight Ratings to nearly any region of the world.
How the Global Aviation Degree Program Works
Students spend the first year in the lively European city of Madrid on the Saint Louis University campus in Spain. Aviation coursework begins in the first semester along with those foundational courses intended to lay the framework for advanced courses in Human Factors, Crew/Team Resource Management and Air Carrier Operations.
The remaining three years of the program are spent in Saint Louis, Missouri, USA, where students will complete the FAA Commercial Single and Multi-engine Instrument ratings in tandem with ATPL theory courses. Saint Louis University teaches all aviation coursework to levels required by the JAA.
Theoretical courses are structured in such a manner to provide equivalence to JAA ATPL training practices and standards. This education and training are more robust than what is required by the FAA in the U.S. As a capstone experience, students are exposed to the rigors of line orientated flight training (LOFT) in the Saint Louis University owned and operated Canadair Regional Jet simulator.
Upon graduation, individuals will possess the undergraduate degree required by many of the world’s air carriers along with U.S. ratings through the Commercial Multi-Engine pilot with Instrument Rating. The added benefit is the knowledge development and additional flight training necessary for students to convert their FAA ratings to JAA ratings.
Global Aviation Degree Program Characteristics and Facts
Upon Graduation students will have the following qualifications:
- U.S. FAA issued Commercial single and multi-engine airplane with instrument rating.
- Over 200 hours of flight training including over 100 hours of solo operation.
- Jet transition training conducted in a high fidelity (non-motion) flight simulator (FAA-AATD).
- Line Orientated Flight Training (LOFT) specific to the Canadair CRJ200.
- Theoretical knowledge up to and beyond the JAA Air Transport Pilot License (ATPL) level.
- Flight and ground experience necessary to transition to the JAA ATPL theory and CPL-IR licenses.
- The graduates experience will enable them to seamlessly transition to JAA, i.e. there will be no extra flight or ground training required.
- Flight training will include experiences appropriate to both FAA and JAA. Students will learn both FAA and JAA requirements.
- Practice exams for the JAA ATPL subjects will be conducted throughout the course.
- Course textbooks include a complete set of JAA subject specific books.
- Students can begin a computer based training program with a transition training partner during the fourth year of the program enabling them to complete the conversion process less than three months following graduation.
We are now accepting students into the program to begin courses in Fall 2012 at the SLU Madrid campus. The program meets global standards in aviation and increases the quality and rigor of aviation at SLU.