If you are applying as a Transfer Student, you will need to send an official transcript and course descriptions for all college level coursework you have completed.
If you are an international student, you should also submit English translations of the transcript and course descriptions, or you may submit your documents to Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) for transfer credit evaluation. These materials should be forwarded to the Office of Admissions.
- SLU will only accept for transfer courses with a grade of C or higher.
- The course and credit hours will be transferred but will not have an effect on your GPA at SLU.
- Students may not receive more than 64 credit hours of transfer work from a community college. There is no limit on the number of credit hours transferred from other four-year colleges or universities.
- Students must complete at least the last 30 credit hours of your degree program at SLU in order to graduate.
- SLU reserves the right to reject the transfer of any credit for which the University has no equivalent coursework.
Transfer Evaluation Process
- The transfer evaluation process will begin upon official admission to SLU.
- Transfer courses are evaluated by the college or department that would teach the course at SLU. For example, math courses are evaluated by the Math Department, electrical engineering courses are evaluated by the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, and business courses are evaluated by the Business School.
- Once evaluated, the course is added to your official SLU transcript. When all the courses are articulated, the Office of Admissions will send a letter outlining the credits awarded and the student may view the accepted credit in Banner.
- This process should be completed within approximately one month from receipt of all transcripts and course descriptions.
Degree Planning is the process of determining how past courses will apply to degree requirements and creating a semester-by-semester plan to complete all degree requirements in order to graduate. It is imperative that all coursework is evaluated for transfer to SLU prior to degree planning.
The Department Chair who oversees your academic program will review the transfer courses awarded to you to determine how they will apply to your academic program requirements. In some cases, a transfer course will be similar to a degree requirement and the Department Chair will grant a degree requirement substitution.
- The English Dept accepts your transfer course as ENGL 190. This is the official entry on your transcript.
- Your department chair decides to accept ENGL 190 as a substitute for your major’s degree requirement of ENGL 192.
- ENGL 190 remains on your transcript as a transfer course but a substitution form is placed in your academic file noting a substitution for ENGL 192.
The Department Chair and an Academic Advisor will assist you in determining remaining degree requirements and planning for future semesters to make sure you can complete your degree in a timely fashion. This process will begin during orientation. Details about orientation can be found on the Admissions website.