Professional Development Course: Safety Leadership & Ethics - Day 2
January 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Saint Louis University Campus - McDonnell Douglas Hall
Aviation Safety Professional Development Courses - Day 2
The Center for Aviation Safety Research (CASR) offers Aviation Safety courses designed for organizational leaders. Courses provide managers with valuable insight on how to achieve the highest level of safety within an organization while improving operational performance. They are led by skilled educators in aviation safety who have extensive industry experience and are leaders in aviation research.
Participants receive a certificate of completion for each course and may earn a Certificate in Aviation Safety for Managers from CASR upon completion of all four courses. These courses may qualify for professional development credits. Check with your industry’s accreditation organization for more information on qualifying professional development activities. Courses are held at Saint Louis University and each course is two days in length.
To provide participants with an understanding of the leader’s role in advancing safety based on principles for ethical decision making.
Who Should Attend
Individuals who are responsible for decision making and leading safety initiatives to improve safety culture. Individuals from a variety of aviation related professions will benefit from this course inducing; airline managers, pilots,and aircraft mechanics; airport managers and fixed base operators; air traffic controllers and technical operations specialists; as well as individuals from other high consequence industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and health care who are interested in improving safety through effective leadership and ethical decision making.
The following topics will be addressed in this course.
- Leader’s role in safety
- Leader’s ethical responsibilities
- Ethical challenges in safety leadership
- Leader’s ethical decision making and characteristics
- Business benefits for ethical safety decisions and leadership
- Sustaining an ethical culture for safety
Course participants will have increased knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the multidimensional role of the leader in promoting safety,
- Appreciate the ethical responsibilities of safety leadership,
- Identify critical ethical challenges in safety leadership,
- Understand important aspects of ethical decision making related to safety,
- Recognize the business benefits of ethical leadership for safety, and
- Appreciate the challenges of sustaining an ethical culture for safety.