NEW! - Missed Appointment Policy
During the thick of pre-registration advising, it can take one to two weeks to get an appointment with your advisor. Why is it so hard to get in? One reason is appointment “no shows,” when a student signs up for an appointment and then neglects to cancel ahead of time if they cannot make the appointment.
Each advisor can get between two and four no shows a day during the busiest times of the semester. These are appointment slots that other students could have taken had we received advanced notice of the cancellation. And a student who fails to show up for an appointment still has to come in and sign up for another appointment time. This means a student who fails to cancel in advance of a no show is actually taking up two appointment slots.
Missed Appointment Policy
This policy is meant to provide students with the best opportunity to be assisted by an advisor. Missed appointments prevent other students from having the opportunity to meet with their advisor in a timely fashion. Additionally, waiting for late students to arrive reduces the productivity of advisors who could be dedicating that time to assisting other students or working on other advising related activities.
• If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so at least 24 hours in advance.
• If you need to cancel an appointment less than 24 hours in advance, please call your Advisor directly.
• To reschedule, students should come by the Advising Office to sign up for a new appointment.
Missed Appointments (No Shows)
• Students who do not show up for an appointment and do not contact the advisor at least one hour in advance to cancel will be considered as a no show (missed appointment).
• Students arriving more than 10 minutes late will be counted as a no show (missed appointment).
• Students who miss two appointments will have to wait at least ten working days from the last missed appointment to see an advisor. The day of the missed appointment is counted as Day One and the first day the student can make an appointment will be Day Eleven.
• If the advisor does not have an open appointment on Day Eleven, the student will have to wait until the next available opening to be seen.
• If you have to miss because of an illness or unexpected emergency and you cannot give your advisor advanced notice, you will need to show proof of the situation with a note from the health center, medical provider or other appropriate official.
• If you have to miss an appointment due to work, you are expected to cancel within 24 hours of your appointment time.
• Other exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
IT’S THAT TIME AGAIN!
Advising & Mentoring For Fall 2011 Registration
Mark these dates on your calendar!
Mentoring & Advising Period
February - March 2011
PROBATION & SUPERVISORY**
Class Level = Total Earned Credits + Currently Registered Credits:
Freshman 0-29; Sophomore 30-59; Junior 60-89; Senior 90+
* Honors, Athletes, and Disability Services with prior permission.
Start Planning for Fall NOW!
If you plan to graduate in May 2012, you will need to complete a different process this semester to be approved for registration for fall 2011. Rising seniors are asked to complete the Final Year Curriculum (FYC) form which will ask you to list all the classes you need to graduate. The FYC process could take a little longer than regular registration approval takes so please schedule your mentoring and advising appointments before April.
After you are approved to take the fall classes listed on the FYC form, we will have your department conduct a very thorough review of your records to make sure you are on track to graduate. This is called a degree audit. The degree audit will confirm the remaining requirements to graduate. Your department will contact you before your final semester if they see any problems. Additional details are available in the Advising Office.
All other Parks College students are required to follow these steps in order to be approved for registration. Check the calendar below for your mentoring, advising and registration dates.
- Pick up a Registration Approval Form in MDD 1004.
- Using your curricular flow sheet, fill in the Registration Approval Form with the courses you would like to take next semester. Flow sheets are available in MDD 1004 or department offices.
- Meet with your Faculty Mentor and secure his or her signature on the Registration Approval Form. Instructions to identify your faculty mentor and Academic Advisor. (View under FAQ question “Who is my advisor?”)
- Stop by MDD 1004 to sign up for an appointment with your Academic Advisor.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor.
- Register in Banner.
Last Day to Withdraw – March 25
Parks College Academic Advising Temporary Web Site: https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/parks-college-undergraduate-academic-advising/
This site includes forms, advising calendar, and flow sheets.